Baby Nyah Is........

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, July 25, 2010

How It All Went Down

Sleep....What Sleep??

I don't think I have properly slept since Thursday night. Maybe it is my body's way of preparing for this precious little girl. This past week was difficult for our entire family. As noted in our previous post, Jim lost his parents and a sister 40 years ago Friday in a tragic car accident. He was 3 years old at the time and was not able to experience the love and nurturing his parents provided for his older siblings (8 of them). His oldest sister raised him and did a wonderful job. He is a remarkable man and a wonderful husband and father. This time of year is tough on him as he reflects on this experience. The week was also difficult for me as we are preparing to move our oldest off on his own (he graduated in June from high school). Additionally, I am on my second reconstructive shoulder surgery and desperately trying to recover (I was mugged in Ireland at a conference last year and unfortunately they got the best of my shoulder...but not my purse :) Anyway...it did not seem that the referral fairy was going to visit and I was feeling pretty blue. I just sat down to ice my shoulder and watch a little CNN. My youngest son was letting the dogs out for me so I could rest. Then the phone rang....

For a split second, I thought "let it ring, it can't be Gladney". Thank goodness I looked at my cell phone....817. I threw the ice off my arm and started screaming at my son. Natalie (that sweet girl) was on the line. She said "Laura, I have your referral". I responded, "seriously, you have to be kidding me". From that point on it was a blur.

Unfortunately, Jim was at work. He is a physics professor and was on the top of a roof installing a climate monitoring system for NASA. I let Natalie know that he was unavailable but I would try to reach him. Simultaneously, Nikolaus was calling Jim to tell me we got a referral. We discussed our options (take the referral alone and share it with him later or wait until Monday morning when we could be together). WHAT DO YOU THINK THE DECISION WAS. Of course, we took the referral and what a wonderful experience it was.

Our little girl is so beautiful. She is 7 weeks old and overall very healthy. She has the most precious smile. Her story was difficult to hear but the presence of God throughout her young journey is apparent. Emotionally, I was all over the board. Crying, laughing, praying, and grieving all at the same time. Our hearts are so full of love already it is overwhelming at times. The rest of the evening was filled with printing pictures, calling family and friends, and rejoicing.

So....what we thought was going to be a difficult week ended up being the most blessed. Now, instead of my husband only reflecting on his loss on July 23rd, he can also remember that it was the first day he saw his precious little girl's face. We took her picture with us to church tonight and offered our prayers to her birth family, the Gladney staff, and all who have touched her young life. It was a peaceful experience knowing God is in control and will care for her until we can be with her. To top it all off, we had a guest priest tonight from where?....Africa of course:)

As we continue to process the events of this week, I physically feel a part of my heart opening just for her. I look forward to the day that it will be filled and complete and we become a family of 5. God Bless - Laura

PS...If anyone reading this post is traveling soon, please contact me at ljfero@yahoo.com We are anxious for additional pictures and the possibility of sending our little princess a care package.

4 comments:

  1. Just catching up on the list and saw you got your referral!! Congratulations-you will be floating for quite a while! I'm so excited for you and your family-
    Renae

    ReplyDelete
  2. WHAT A BLESSING!!!! God is so good to give him the gift of a daughter as a balm on such a painful day! WOW!!!!!!! I am so thrilled for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats! We'll be eagerly awaiting the first public pictures of your little one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came across your Blog from the FBI list...We live in Virginia and see that we're pretty close to each other...We've been home for 3 months with our sweet Lidya...It just brings back memories reading other families call story...
    Our God is so AWESOME!!! God Bless you and your family...
    Send me an email and maybe we can get together sometime....
    aprilm7777@yahoo.com

    ReplyDelete